Our History

The Steinman Foundation was created in 2014 through the merger of separate private foundations established in 1951 by the brothers James Hale and John Frederick Steinman. The Steinman brothers were innovative business leaders in Lancaster County and, in an effort to give back to their community, they dedicated a portion of the profits from their businesses to their foundations. Contributions over many years by LNP Media Group, Inc., the parent company to, among other publications, LNP and LancasterOnline.com, and its predecessors and affiliates have funded more than $85 million in grants to a wide variety of local charitable organizations.

The Steinman Foundation’s grant-making activities reflect the desire of the founders to help improve the quality of people’s lives through support for organizations with clear statements of purpose, well-defined programs and strong and competent leadership.

James Hale Steinman

John Frederick Steinman